Thursday, June 11, 2015

Porcupines in a Skillet

A lot of people I'm sure have heard of Porcupine Meatballs. For those of you who have no idea what they are I'll explain. Basically, you make up your meat ball mixture and add uncooked rice to it. As the meatballs cook the rice pokes out a little sort of like porcupine quills. They are super delicious and one of my favorite "comfort food" type dishes. The only problem with them is they take so long to make and cook. Sometimes you just need a quick, filling, and delicious supper. Here is a quick and easy version!! 




Note: All ingredients can be adjusted to your family's size. I make a lot because I have three boys who have hollow legs!! haha Plus, we love leftovers!!

Porcupines in a Skillet
1-2lbs Ground Beef or Turkey 
1 pkg. Onion Soup Mix
1 14.5oz Tomato Sauce
1 15 oz Can Diced Tomatoes
2 Cups Water
1 Cup Rice (not Minute Rice)
1 Head of Cabbage (Optional)



In a large skillet brown ground beef until completely cooked through. Drain off any grease. Next add Onion Soup Mix, Tomato Sauce, and Diced Tomatoes. Mix well. Lastly add Water and Rice. Cook on Medium Low Heat until Rice is tender. Serve alone or over cooked cabbage.

If you like cabbage I highly recommend it!! It is perfect with this meal. I also suggest you stay close to the stove and stir often. 

If you would like to see my video demonstration watch this video!!



Eat Well,

Emily-TheCountryCook on YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment